Freezing Scrapple?

Cooking, canning, cleaning, frugal living, household hints, recipe sharing, etc

Moderators: antiquestuff, oz in SC, SteveD(TX)

Freezing Scrapple?

Postby Dutchie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 am

I have really gotten into making and eating scrapple. I think it is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread :mrgreen:

Question is .... think I can freeze the finished product??
Dutchie

Postby bob clark » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:38 pm

what is scrapple?
Obamanation, get used to it, or get out
bob clark

Postby Dutchie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:38 pm

It is a mixture of meat and corn meal. I will post a recipe in the kitchen.
Dutchie

Postby bob clark » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:42 pm

that sounds wierd , but i would try it :thumbs:
bob clark

Postby bare » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 pm

It freezes just find Dutchie. Only reason I know is that it's so hard to just make a small batch of scrapple, that and for some reason I can't convince others of it's goodness after they've seen me boiling an entire hog's head on the stove.

You can freeze the loaf, but I usually slice it and freeze it on cookie sheets before vaccuum packing enough for a meal.

How do you like to prepare it? I love it fried with mincemeat topping.
"You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."

Obama!
bare

Postby Dutchie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:49 pm

bare wrote:It freezes just find Dutchie. Only reason I know is that it's so hard to just make a small batch of scrapple, that and for some reason I can't convince others of it's goodness after they've seen me boiling an entire hog's head on the stove.

You can freeze the loaf, but I usually slice it and freeze it on cookie sheets before vaccuum packing enough for a meal.

How do you like to prepare it? I love it fried with mincemeat topping.

Bare .... GREAT idea to slice it before freezing!!!!!

I just posted a recipe ..... I would use the whole pig's head as well but that runs out after a while and I resort to regular pork, ham or chicken. Never tried it with beef but I am sure that is good as well.
Dutchie

Postby bob clark » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:52 pm

a whole pigs head :shocked:
bob clark

Postby bare » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 pm

We used to belong to the local homeschool association. On one of the get-togethers, one of my kids told another kid about scrapple and other things we made when I butchered. Word got to the organizer and they all wanted to come help!

I was excited about having all those kids and parents help, so picked out four nice 300lb hogs for demonstration day.

You can probably imagine what's coming, but in my ignorance I enthusiasticaly plowed ahead.

They wanted to see the whole operation.

Lost the first homeschoolers after shooting and sticking the first hog. But THEN some of the kids got in the SPIRIT! One of my kids started painting indian faces with the blood out behind a shed, much to the dismay of their parents.

Still had enough man power around, so we went ahead and scalded and scraped one of them to show 'em how we made Scrunchions, and skinned the rest. Boiled the offal and head on the fire. By this time the crowd had really thinned out. When I pulled the skull out I offered it to one of the kids to take home,who was thrilled, but later found it next to the driveway.

Offered the other three heads so folks could make their own, but no takers.

Jeeze, that was 20 years ago and I still hear strange tales about it around town! Couple weeks ago a stapping young feller came up to me in the tavern and re-introduced himself as the recipient of the hog skull. He still gives his folks a bad time about it he says.
"You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."

Obama!
bare

Postby Dutchie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:15 pm

That is too funny!!
Dutchie

Postby pegasus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 pm

I never heard of Scrapple before. So, of course Google is a very good friend of mine....I took advantage of my very good friend....And.....Wow is all I can say....that is some scary sounding stuff....But, I really need to say that I would not make it....I would definitely try it if given the opportunity. And, if I acquired a taste after testing out the ole' buds... I would definitely want to make itl
pegasus

Return to Homesteader's Kitchen and Pantry