Dehydrating Spaghetti Squash - My Results

Cooking, canning, cleaning, frugal living, household hints, recipe sharing, etc

Moderator: Irene texas

Dehydrating Spaghetti Squash - My Results

Postby Gayle » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:52 am

Since I couldn't find anything on how to dehydrate spaghetti squash, and nobody here seemed to know how, either, I tried doing it myself.

First, I boiled the whole squash until it was fork-tender. You could microwave it (poke some holes in it, then microwave for 10 minutes, or until fork-tender) if you're not averse to cooking in the microwave.

Next, I cut in in half, lengthwise, and scooped out the seeds. With a fork, I raked out the strands of squash and drained them for a few minutes, in a strainer.

Finally, I spread the strands out on the dehydrator racks and dried them at 125 degrees. It only took a few hours. They look kind of like yellow Silly String.

This morning, I poured a little boiling water over them and let it sit for a few minutes (less than 5, because I'm not very patient), drained them, and took a bite. They were pretty good! They were still a bit crunchy (not like dry-crunchy, but like fresh-crunchy). I think, if you soaked them a bit longer or, maybe, boiled them for 5 - 10 minutes, you wouldn't be able to tell them from fresh.

This was so simple, and worked very well. I wonder why I couldn't find directions for doing it? Surely, I'm not the first person to think of it! If I can get more of them for a quarter each, I'll be dehydrating a lot of them.
Gayle

Postby peggyan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:53 pm

I've had people try giving them to me in yrs past. Now of course when I have something to do with a lot of them there won't be any. I'd really like to try this. It would be a nice change in the winter.
Blessings
Peggy
peggyan

Postby debitaber » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:22 pm

thanks Gayle, yo u know I looked all over and couldn't find a way to dry those things. glad you found a way. guess we will try it.
blessings to all,
debi taber
debitaber

Return to Homesteader's Kitchen and Pantry